Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New Orleans recap





Wow - what a crazy town New Orleans is. Drove from Tampa to Biloxi and spent a few hours at the Hard Rock when my Dad called to tell me about Bourbon Street. I had a wild hair so I bailed on Biloxi and made the drive. Hindsight being what it is, I should have stayed in Biloxi. Do any of you remember High Street (in Columbus, of course) back in the day when Papa Joes and Park Alley ruled? Multiply that by 1,000 and you'll get an idea of what Bourbon Street is like. My Dad, Larry, Eric, Brad, Paul, Kevin and myself shared two rooms at the Best Western in the French Quarter. 5 minute walk to all of the debauchery one could ask for. Did some sightseeing (saw Lenny Kravitz Monday) and took it all in. People didn't seem to grasp the concept of what it took to earn beads. They were being handed out for no reason. Disappointing to a few members of our group, the names shall be withheld at this time. We hit some pre parties then walked to the Super Dome. It was amazing. Intense. Memorable. All the way until the end of the first quarter. Tressel was out-coached again. We were outnumbered 4 to 1. The taunting was terrible. If I hear "Tiger Bait" one more time I'll have to string somebody up. LSU had the home field advantage for sure. After the game we walked back to the hotel and crashed, Enough was enough!

On the way out of town I drove through part of the Lower 9th Ward. It was terrible. FEMA trailers in almost every front yard. The homes looked like nothing had been done and we're more than 2 years out. What the hell happened to all of the money spent after Katrina? These people are in bad shape. No wonder they have the highest murder rate in the nation.

Got up early this morning and drove to San Antonio. 544 miles? And I have over 800 miles to drive to Albuquerque! I'm thinking of staying here for another night and then split the trip into two days. This town is pretty cool from what I've seen. I'm staying at the Drury right on the River Walk. I took a stroll to a Mexican restaurant and had a great meal then did the loop. This is a great date place. I'd go look for a date, but quite frankly I'm wiped out. I need to rest. It's 9:22 and I'm out.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ziggy A.K.A "GETTIN' ZIGGY WIT IT!"

Wow, what a journey you have embarked on thus far. I have to say that I am glad to have been part of the trip to ATL since you crashed at my house and received the new nickname "DUPREE."

Plus, while you were there...well, we'll save that for another drunken story!

N'AWLINS was a blast but I think the BCS should keep OSU out of the title games for the next 5 years.

Have fun in TX; Get some of that beaver for me; just "HOOK-EM."

Enjoy New Mexico and skiing in the powder!

Na, Na, Na, Na, Na...Gettin Ziggy Wit It!

E-Berg!

Anonymous said...

Ziggy! Thanks for taking your last bayou dump in our bathroom just before you left for Cowboy country! I guess that jambalaya omelette was a bad choice. Don't blame everthing on the man in the sweater vest! The players made alot of horrible plays....and LSU just made more plays at the right times! Get Ziggy wit it!! on your journey across our great nation...GO BUCKS!!

Stacy said...

Well I'm sure it would have been better if the Bucks pulled it off. Sounds like you guys had a great time! Again, you're welcome :-)
Your Sis

Unknown said...

You can't get ZIGGY WIT IT enough in N'AWLINS! What a great time....except for the Buckeye loss.