Monday, December 17, 2007

Fuckin' deer



So I'm spending some quality time with dad driving to a golf shop when I yelled "LOOK OUT!!!!"

Didn't do any good.

I saw the deer running onto the road and towards our car but there wasn't enough time to do anything. Next thing I know the entire windshield is covered with the deer and the glass shattered all over us. I can't believe it didn't come right through and onto our laps.

The guy behind us pulled over and called the police. He said the deer hit our windshield and flew more than 20' in the air. He landed in a culvert next to the road and I heard him floundering in the water when I got out of the car. He crawled nearly 75 yards down the culvert, up a hill and into the woods by his front legs as his back was broken. The cop showed up and I told him where the deer headed so he could put him down. He tracked him (took about 10 minutes for him to locate the deer) and put two rounds into him, hence the blood in the photo.

There were three cars that pulled over and asked for the deer. One guy said he had been photographing it for 6 months. It was an 8 point buck, and pretty large for a deer in Florida. The cop was an avid hunter and had already called his buddy to come get it. I guess he'll call Dad after it's been processed so we can meet him to pick up some venison. That'll be payback!

Fuckin' deer......

2 comments:

Median Joe said...

Love hearing your stories...keep 'em coming. The deer story is pretty funny in a sick sort of way. xoxo Cousin Chris

Anonymous said...

Mark, well it looks like your getting on well with everyone except Rudolph. Can't tell from the picture if this was your car or your Dad's. Keep up the great travel blog. I have been enjoying it. I will be in Columbus this weekend and I will share this with
Brooke & Tom et al.
Happy Holiday's!
Eric Gunderson