Monday, April 20, 2009

Great weekend with a sketchy start








Well, the storm was for real. We tried to get an early start on Friday but I got caught up at Croc's waiting for the burritos for the beach party. By the time we hit the road it was nearly 3:30 and the weather was getting bad. It was snow, rain and sleet in Denver but all snow to the West. Lakewood got hammered. We were turned off of 70 at the Morrison exit by a State Trooper but I decided to risk it. Stupid move. We got caught in traffic less than two miles later and sat for 30 minutes while cars tried to put chains on. Semis were all over the place. Unless you had chains or a 4x4 you had no business being on the road (we were in a 4x4). I finally had the opportunity to drive up an on ramp and get turned around and we made it back in no time. Good for us - hundreds were stranded all night - many slept in their cars and most made it to shelters. It was pretty bad. We took a walk in a park nearby and the pic you see of me sitting in the snow? I'm on a park bench.

Got up Sat am and waited until nearly 11 am for 70 to re-open then we drove to A-Basin and parked at the beach. There were quite a few people there but mostly locals and the lucky ones who made it up before the storm got bad. Made some turns and then met a BBQ caterer at spot #3 who invited us to help eat the food he prepared for the 30 people who didn't make it. And I had all this beer and wine too.

Spent the night at the condo (with the indoor hot tub) and relaxed. Got up Sunday morning to ski A-Basin and by the time we got there the parking lots were full. All of them. For mile up and down the road. So we decided to head back when Ambereen had a brilliant idea. We drove up Loveland Pass and she dropped me off at the top so I could hike and ski down to the road below where she picked me up. I was so stoked she had to try it so we parked at the top and hiked a ways. Great view and so much fresh powder! I hit a cornice and we made fresh tracks all the way down. Some of the best runs of the season! Hitched a ride with some high school kids from Littleton to the top and did it again. And again. And again. WHat a great time!

No comments: