Thursday, April 30, 2009

a Golden day






Super day yesterday! Bought a new pair of hiking boots at Bent Gate Mountaineering in Golden and just HAD to go for a hike. Needed some food first so I went to Sherpa House, a new place in Golden specializing in Nepalese food. Yak Daalh Bhat, naan and lentil soup - yum! Hit the trail and hike for a couple of hours = 6 miles? Nice break-in and no problems! Unlike my last pair of boots. The trail winds through Golden along a stream that has been manipulated to provide some great kayaking. There were dozens of people in the water and many more walking, running, playing volleyball, etc. On a Wednesday afternoon! I'm not the only one ;)

About a mile and 1/2 in I crossed a bridge and saw two guys panning for gold. Well, one was diving and the other was panning. Talked to the one on the shore and he said it was a fun hobby, a way to escape the wife and kids for a day. They pan one day a week all around the state. He showed me some gold flakes. He said they just keep the gold since it needs to be processed before they can sell it and there's a minimum requirement of 10 ounces. Not sure if he was BS'ing me on the keeping it part as they had thousands of dollars in gear on site.

Another mile or so in I came across several people rock climbing up a sweet face. Still not sure if I want to try that. Looks like a lot of work for a little gain but I'm sure it's the challenge that's appealing.

At the end of the trail there was a huge sluice in disrepair. There were planks nailed down which on could walk on but they were in need of repair so I only walked 100 yards.

Finished the hike and went to Fossil Trace to hit some balls. Ambereen was taking her first lesson and I wanted to see how it was going ;)

Nuggets playoff game after that. They beat the Hornets handily and I was sent backstage to help keep people out of the locker room area. Got to hi 5 Nene, Billups, Birdman, Karl and a few others. They were pretty stoked but focused on the next round for sure. I'm hoing for a Nuggets Cavs final, but the Nuggets have to get by the Lakers and that won't be easy......

No comments: