Friday, August 29, 2008

DNC acceptance speech





Since I didn't get the tickets after applying online I decided to work the event and take my chances. It was quite and ordeal but worth it. I drove to the aquarium to get my credentials (clocked in at 8:37 am) then drove to Elich Gardens to park and took a shuttle to Invesco. Hundreds of people standing around looking and waiting for something to do. Since I signed up at the last minute I didn't have a supervisor to report to so people tried to get me on their teams. I'm asking them what my role would be and they weren't too forthcoming so I said no. I told Kay I'd join her team since she runs the floor at the Pepsi Center and they host the Avs, Nuggets and a few other teams.

We were shuffled to section 117 outside to get out of the way - just in time for Stevie Wonder's sound check. Then Cheryl Crow's sound check. Got some sun and hung out for an hour or so. Then we were sent back downstairs where they had food. We weren't told it was for us and it was kind of secrative so I walked up and asked what was up. They said it was for us. So why weren't we eating? Then Kay said we would be needed and we only had time for a quick snack. Whatever - I chowed. 2 plates as I knew it would be the only food we would see all day. And I was right.

I waited around for 2 more hours and then she told me she didn't need me. This was 2 pm! I saw Doc (from Red Rocks - he works with me) and asked if he needed help. He told me to change my shirt and join his team. I joined Tiffany (Red Rocks - see how this works?) and we were to walk on the ADA aisle to keep it clear. We were Roamers. We had 1/4 of the stadium to watch. Prime spot! Most everyone else had to work outside, underground or some other shitty location. I scored! We walked around, talked, and told people to move. That was it.

Saw Al Gore speak, Bill Richardson too and saw Stevie Wonder & Cheryl Crow again. Then we found a prime spot for Obama and cleared people out of the way so we could see ;) Seriously - "Keep moving", "You can't stand here", whatever it took to get them out of our way. I had one guy move so an Officer could stand next to me and take pictures. The guy was pissed - his look was priceless! Tiffany pulled the best one though - she walked up to a gentleman in a suit and told him to move along. He showed her his credentials and she kept telling him to move until she read them - US Secret Service - so she let him stay. HA! This is the same person who, at the Garrison Keiler show last week wouldn't let a woman throught the stage door (she didn't have a pass) and I looked up as the show started and she was one of the star performers. I still give her shit about that one. Now I can tease her about the Secret Service.

The crowd went crazy and it was like being at a concert. He spoke for quite a while and we got to listen to most of it. I'm glad I was there to witness history, and things went pretty smooth considering all of the security. Long day though and I'm beat. I have work to do today, All the ski stores have their sales today (I need ski boots) then I'm working at Red Rocks Fri Sat & Sun.

Livin the dream ;()

No comments: