Friday, June 7, 2013

Some interesting observations

The currency here is the Rand, and it's now at a 4 year low which benefits me. The citizens of this country, not so much. It has dropped 10% since I arrived. $1 US now = R10.

Apartheid ended only 20 years ago. There is a lot of ground to cover. Unemployment is sky high. Crime is high.

This city is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen.

South African people are very friendly and, for the most part, soft spoken.

Cape Town is a cosmopolitan city. I can't wait to check out the local music scene!

When you go into town, especially in the evening, you will encounter many people whose sole job is to help you park and watch over your vehicle. All for a little change. It gets interesting when they mysteriously appear when you get back to your vehicle and try to help you pull out of your parking spot.

I don't think that I have ventured out once without being hit up for money.

There are more outdoor activities than I've encountered in Colorado, and that's saying something. Hiking, backpacking, biking, running, snorkeling, scuba diving, boating, wind surfing, paragliding and 4x4 are just some of the activities.

As it turns out, there is a ski resort here! Tiffindell is in South Africa. Not much to it but hey, it's a lift!

Driving on the "wrong" side of the road is a challenge. There are bad drivers in every country and there are no shortages here. Speed limit may be 60 kph and if I go 80 someone passes me going 120. Every time. I have YET to see ANYONE pulled over for any driving violation. And I'm driving a Ford pickup (AKA a Bakkie, pronounced buckie.) which was built for someone who is much smaller than I am.

There are some awesome beaches but the water is COLD! Several nude beaches nearby but it's winter so I don't know.

Great food and for the most part inexpensive. We're having breakfast at a white table cloth restaurant on the beach at Camp's Bay for R30 ($3). I'm talking steak and eggs here.

The flight here sucks - but it's worth the trip!

Home security is crazy. Whoever sells razor wire here is making money. And electric fences. I'll post some home security pics later.

Winter weather is crazy! Sunny to rainy to sunny to rainy, etc.

Fewer TV commercials! I'd say half of what we have in the US.

No comments: