Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Robben Island

Robben Island has been a notorious place since they used it to house prisoners in the 1600's. It is most famous for housing Nelson Mandela for 18 years. I called this morning to book a tour and was told they were full but to stop by. I took the train into town and when I got to the ticket window what do you know - they sold me a ticket for the 1:00 departure. We boarded a wooden replica pirate ship just as it started to rain. Pour actually. Everyone ran onto the boat and sought shelter from the storm. After 10 minutes I noticed that the rain had stopped so I took the stairs up to the rear deck (I'm sure there's a nautical term for it but work with me) and caught a great view. I would have taken pictures but the seas were quite rough and the ship was listing to the point where I had to bend my knees and hold on to ropes with both hands. A shelf broke free down below and injured several people and many others were getting sick. I thought it was a cool ride but perspective is everything. We arrived at the island and boarded a bus which took us around. We were herded like sheep though so we couldn't venture out as many people still live on the island and I'm sure they want some peace, unlike those souls who live on South Bass Island (Put-in-Bay in Ohio). We were dropped off at the main prison and our guide had been a prisoner there for several years beginning in 1981. Not all that long ago. All of the guides for this tour are former inmates. It left quite an impression to say the least.

No comments: