Thursday, May 30, 2013

Skiing update

I neglected this blog since last year and I now regret it, as I use this to remember my adventures as much as sharing with family and friends. One thing I want to capture is the amazing ski season that I had. Based on my calculations using EpicMix and my altimeter, I have skied 106 days this past season with over 1,000,000 vertical feet covered. One of the highlights was skiing with my buddy Phil on many of my free days. We were able to go on several trips and I must say that each one was fabulous. Let recap: Not only was I able to take advantage of my pass to ski at Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail, Beaver Creek and A-Basin but Phil and I were able to take advantage of the free days on a ski trip to California at Northstar, Heavenly and Kirkwood. Many thanks to Aly and Denise for putting us up and putting up with us ;) While the snow conditions were less than ideal we still had a blast. I love skiing new mountains and having personal tour guides makes it even better. These are a few of the fun pictures. The chute was a hike-to and long story short, I fell out of it and slid a few hundred feet down. I stopped about 35 feet short of a pretty significant feature such that if I would have continued down it would have been ugly. We celebrated with shots. I collected coupons at Shell for buy one get one and Phil, Will and I made the trek to Monarch. We picked one of the best weeks of the season as they just got through a system which dumped over 60" in the previous 6 days. We had freshies all day long! Phil, Mark H and I made a trip to Telluride and met with Frank, who was a most excellent Tour Guide. We were able to score Medallion passes for the first day and got $65 tickets for the 2nd. I can't believe that it took so long to ski that wonderful mountain! What a place. I would compare it to anyplace that I've skied. Highly recommended. For our final trip of the season Phil, Dave and I drove to Utah to ski Little Cottonwood Canyon and we hit Snowbird and Alta. I'm leaving a LOT out as far as details but this is a start. 12 ski resorts in one season is an all time high!

No comments: