Monday, May 20, 2013

Cape Town South Africa

I've finally crossed the pond and instead of going to Europe like many people, I made it to Cape Town, South Africa to spend some quality time with Ambereen. The flight was an adventure as in included three legs over 27 hours. Tampa to JFK was a breeze although I made it to the next gate as they were boarding with time for a bathroom break. JFK - Amsterdam started off well as I had a great seat with plenty of legroom and a cool seatmate. Then the family with two small children sat down across the isle and all hell broke loose. The kids were not pleased, one in particular and he alternated between screaming and crying for much of the trip. My noise canceling headphones paid for themselves on that leg alone. I HIGHLY recommend them for anyone who travels. It turns out the other child was sick and when I exited the bathroom after a much needed break I opened the door and stepped into a pile of puke. Awesome. The poor mother was exasperated and I got some paper towels and found a flight attendant to help clean. I then took my seat and introduced my seatmate to the wonderful world of scotch. 4 episodes of Boardwalk Empire and a few scotches and bourbons later, all was well. With a 4 hour layover in Amsterdam I didn't have time to venture out so I found a place to relax and waited for my gate to open. I hope to spend time in that city another day. Perhaps Octoberfest sometime soon? The flight from Amsterdam to Cape Town was 11 hours and while I had the window seat (good place to rest my head and I didn't have to move for anyone) the aisle seat was soon occupied by a rowdy Kiwi who had apparently spent his layover in the bar. Now I am certainly not one to judge, but holy cow was he wound up! The poor woman next to me bore the brunt of his enthusiasm and after an entertaining hour I put on my headphones and selected Django Unchained for my first movie. I was able to sleep for a few hours as well. In the meantime, the Kiwi plowed through at least 7 bottles of wine and when I woke up he was singing quite loudly and getting a lot of attention. iPod on high thank you very much. He spilled wine all over his leg during landing and proceeded to attempt to sing the South African national anthem but instead sang the French anthem. People were cracking up. Ambereen was waiting for me - it's been 7 long months! I missed you! We drove back to her place and it was time to crash. Good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Entertaining and fun... keep writing! kisses to both. I am sure you have plenty to catch up :))
Muriel