Monday, June 23, 2008

Maroon Bells camping trip









My friend Ambereen and I drove to the Aspen area last Friday afternoon to camp for the weekend. We set up camp at Lincoln Gulch after driving nearly three miles on a road which was best suited for a 4x4. I don't think Enterprise would like to see any pics of their Mitsubishi tearing up that hill. Found a stunning campsite (#10) with a great view and close proximity to a stream.
Got up Saturday and drove to Aspen where we parked and took the bus to Maroon Bells, the most photographed mountains in the US. We walked to Maroon Lake then took a trail to Crater Lake about 1.6 miles away. Look at the pic I took of North Maroon Bell - halfway up on the right you can see what looks like a face - black eyes, nose and mouth. We climbed up that rock slide to the base of a waterfall. On the way, we passed through a campsite where a group of people were tearing down. Ambereen asked them if they hiked a fourteener and they said they did, and skied down! Crazy people out here, I tell ya.
Had dinner in Aspen then back to the campsite. The stars were out in full force and we could hear the rushing water. There was a fantastic water feature where the rocks were carved by the snow melt over the years. I'll post pics of that later. Best water I've ever tasted (of course I used my H2O filter)!!!
Got up Sunday and drove to the Grotto a mile up the road. Another cool short hike with ice caves and a waterfall. Perfect weather and a wonderful time. Great way to start the camping season!!!

No comments: