Friday, November 8, 2013

London

Once again I had a smooth trip to Cape Town with a 15 hour layover in London. I arrived in London around 6 am and since my bags were checked through to Cape Town I bought a round trip ticket on the express train to Paddington. The train only took 15 minutes and was very comfortable. Once at Paddington I bought an all day ticket for the Tube. I made my way to the Tower of London and Tower Bridge but I got there too early, before the Tower of London opened, so I walked along The Queen's Walk to see some sights. It was an overcast day which quickly changed to rain. I am so happy that I brought my rain jacket and my backpack had a waterproof cover. My shoe selection sucked though. For some reason I thought that my Columbia water shoes were a great choice for flying but neglected to factor in walking for miles in London. My dogs were barking pretty quickly. I made it back to the Tower and had the place to myself for nearly an hour so I checked out the Crown Jewels with nobody else in the room. I also took a picture on the courtyard where Anne Boleyn was beheaded - Ambereen and I had watched The Tudors a year or so ago - and it was cool to see where so much history happened.
I continued on the Tube towards Westminster Hall & Big Ben. There sure were a lot of tourists taking pictures ;)

According to the map I was close to Buckingham Palace so I decided to walk instead of Tube it. I got a little lost as my map was not detailed enough but I was able to find someone to point me in the right direction. There are some great neighborhoods in that area. By the time I made it to Buckingham Palace it was getting late so I took a few pics and wandered over to the Hard Rock. I was going to buy a T shirt and a pint but they didn't have any bar stools at the bar and I was tired of standing so I left to head back to the airport. I didn't even scratch the surface of London but got a feel for the city and would love to go back some day and spend a week or two.

My flight to Cape Town was fine and I got in around 11:30 am. Ambereen picked me up and we went to her place where she dropped my off to go back to work. I started to unpack but had the urge to lie down for a few minutes. I got up at 5:40 pm! Where am I? What time is it?

Friday is a day to chill out. I'll take MyCiTi to the store and pick up a few things.

Saturday morning we'll hit the old Biscuit Mill for breakfast and some shopping - they have the best produce, honey, food, etc. Then we'll go to Kirstenbosch Gardens on Sunday.

No comments: