Monday, November 18, 2013

Kitesurfing 101

I've wanted to kitesurf for years now - ever since I watched a show highlighting some of the tricks that can be done, namely jumping off the top of a wave, catching big air then landing and continuing on. When I was in Cape Town last winter (seasons are opposite so it was summer in Colorado) I tried to sign up for lessons but the weather didn't cooperate. I called as soon as I got back over a week ago and today was my lucky day. Julia and Pedro were my instructors and I had 6 hours for the first lesson.

I learned how to control a kite with a small trainer kite about 1.8 sq meters and then moved onto the inflatable trainer, which is 2.8 meters (something like that) and hooked into my harness. Like any cool sport, there is a lot of gear involved. Damn gear - I love it but why does it cost so much? Wetsuit, harness, sail, board, on and on.

I progressed rapidly through the kite drills and after lunch it was time to get into the water for the body drag drill. Basically I had to get the kite airborne then get into the water and let the kite pull me while performing figure 8's with the kite. It would have been a hell of a lot easier without the 3 meter waves crashing down on me. I tried and tried and tried...and tried. One of the owners came up and gave me some tips. I tried again. And again. I FINALLY managed to have the kite drag me about 50 meters. It was one of the most challenging things I've tried. My instructor Pedro kept telling me it wasn't my fault but the surf was too high. 4:00 finally came and we packed up and headed back to the shop across the street for the debrief.

All in all a great day. I am tired and sore and ready to go back tomorrow! Wish me luck....

No comments: