Sunday, February 10, 2008

More Colorado






Thought I'd take a few days to chill after the Utah trip. Got antsy after a few days so I found a room near Breckenridge on Priceline for Friday night. Only problem was a winter storm which shut down I-70 on Thursday evening. The plan was to ski Friday all day, spend the night then ski Saturday before returning to Denver. With the shutdaown of I-70 we were on to plan B. On Friday mid morning we drove to Red Rocks in Golden. Can't wait to catch a show there - got to stand on stage and play air guitar. The Dead played there 25 times. The natural acoustics are among the best in the world as far as natural ampitheaters go. Next up was a drive up to Lookout Mountain to see Buffalo Bills grave. We passed several people on road bikes making the ride up. It looked positively grueling. I'm in no shape for such a ride. Cool view of Golden from up top - I'm pointing to Coors Brewery, our next destination.
The tour of the brewery was pretty cool. Much better than what had ever been offered at the Columbus Anheiser Bush facility (although I had an opportunity to take a behind the scenes tour there a few years ago and the automation was fascinating).
While we were in the sampling room (the Blue Moon Seasonal was my favorite by far) Ray learned that I-70 had opened. Time to go get our gear and hit the road.
Breckenridge at night in the winter is spectacular. The epitomy of a ski town. Had dinner at Erics then a few pints at the Gold Pan. Back to the hotel to get some rest as we had an early morning. Decided to ski Keystone as Breck tends to get crowded on the weekend. Nice day on the slopes and we skied our asses off. No pics but let me tell you how happy I am to have that helmet.....

No comments: